Having hard water is one of the most common problems in any household across the country. Not sure what hard water is? Allow me to explain–water that high in dissolved minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium, is classified as hard water. It’s not a health risk, but can be a problem when it affects your fixtures.
It can prevent the full lathering of soap or shampoo which can lead to unneeded frustration as well as clogging pipes with mineral build up left behind as the water flows through the pipes. So how do you know if you have this problem? Do the following:
- Take an empty plastic bottle that has a cap
- Remove the cap and fill the bottle with about a half-cup of water
- Add 10 drops of dishwashing liquid and shake well
- If the soapy solution foams quickly your water is not hard
- If it does not foam, but creates a soapy film on the water surface then your water is hard